Hanalei is located on the North Shore of Kauai Island in the Hawaiian archipelago. It is a small, rural town with a population of 462 as of the 2010 census. The town is situated on Hanalei Bay, which is surrounded by lush mountains and lush green valleys. See topbbacolleges for information about Hawaii County, Hawaii.
The climate in Hanalei is tropical, with temperatures usually ranging from 70-85 degrees Fahrenheit year-round. The area receives plenty of rainfall each year, making it an ideal destination for those seeking respite from drier climates.
The history of Hanalei dates back to the 1500s when the Hawaiian Islands were first discovered by Captain James Cook. The town was originally a fishing village and has since become a popular tourist destination.
The economy of Hanalei is largely based on tourism, with visitors coming to enjoy its natural beauty, outdoor activities, and laid-back atmosphere. Many locals are employed in the hospitality industry, working in restaurants, hotels, and tour guides. There are also several small businesses in the area that cater to tourists and locals alike.
There are two schools in Hanalei: Hanalei Elementary School and Hanalei High School. Both schools offer students a variety of classes including science, math, English, foreign language, music, art, physical education and more.
The most notable landmarks in Hanalei are the majestic Waimea Canyon and Na Pali Coast State Park. Waimea Canyon is known as “the grand canyon of Hawaii” due to its dramatic cliffs and deep valleys carved by rivers over millions of years. Na Pali Coast State Park is an 11-mile stretch of rugged coastline along Kauai’s north shore that offers stunning views of sea cliffs and waterfalls cascading down into the ocean below.
Males: 238 (49.8%), Females: 240 (50.2%)
Zip code: 96714
Median resident age: 40.2 years
Median household income: $34,375
Median house value: $422,900
Races in Hanalei:
- White Non-Hispanic (56.1%)
- Two or more races (21.1%)
- Japanese (11.3%)
- Hispanic (4.8%)
- American Indian (3.1%)
- Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander (2.9%)
- Chinese (2.5%)
- Other Asian (2.5%)
- Filipino (2.1%)
Ancestries: English (12.8%), Irish (8.4%), German (6.7%), French (4.4%), Polish (3.1%), Dutch (2.5%).
Elevation: 13 feet
Land area: 0.6 square miles
Hanalei is located in Kauai County on the north shore of the Hawaiian island of Kauai. The population of Hanalei is estimated to be around 817 people, with a median age of 40.8 years. The median household income is $63,406, and the median home value is $1,147,500. The cost of living in Hanalei is considered to be very high compared to the rest of the United States; groceries, healthcare and utilities are all considerably more expensive than they are in other parts of the country. Transportation costs can also be quite high due to limited public transportation options. Renting an apartment or house in Hanalei can be quite expensive as well; however, many residents choose to purchase a home due to the great quality of living that Hanalei provides. There are many outdoor activities available for residents such as hiking, kayaking, surfing and snorkeling that make it an ideal place for those who enjoy nature and outdoor recreation. Additionally, there are several restaurants and shops located within walking distance from most residential areas so you don’t have to go far for your everyday needs. Overall living in Hanalei can be an expensive but rewarding experience as long as you have a steady income and budget accordingly.
For population 25 years and over in Hanalei
- High school or higher: 82.8%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 21.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 7.0%
- Unemployed: 3.8%
- Mean travel time to work: 15.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Hanalei CDP
- Never married: 30.4%
- Now married: 45.2%
- Separated: 1.9%
- Widowed: 5.5%
- Divorced: 17.0%
5.0% Foreign born (2.1% Asia, 1.3% North America, 0.8% Oceania).
Hospitals/medical centers near Hanalei:
- SAMUEL MAHELONA MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 14 miles; KAPAA, HI)
- WILCOX MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 18 miles; LIHUE, HI)
- KAUAI VETERANS MEMEORIAL HOSPITAL (about 21 miles; WAIMEA, HI)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Hanalei:
- LIHUE (about 21 miles; LIHUE, HI; Abbreviation: LIH)
- HONOLULU INTL (about 126 miles; HONOLULU, HI; Abbreviation: HNL)
- MOLOKAI (about 183 miles; KAUNAKAKAI, HI; Abbreviation: MKK)
Other public-use airports nearest to Hanalei:
- PORT ALLEN (about 24 miles; HANAPEPE, HI; Abbreviation: PAK)
- DILLINGHAM AIRFIELD (about 102 miles; MOKULEIA, HI; Abbreviation: HDH)
- KALAELOA (JOHN RODGERS FIELD) (about 118 miles; KAPOLEI, HI; Abbreviation: JRF)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Hanalei:
- BRIGHAM YOUNG UNIVERSITY-HAWAII CAMPUS (about 116 miles; LAIE, HI; Full-time enrollment: 2,273)
- LEEWARD COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 120 miles; PEARL CITY, HI; Full-time enrollment: 3,511)
- HONOLULU COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 129 miles; HONOLULU, HI; Full-time enrollment: 2,787)
- HAWAII PACIFIC UNIVERSITY (about 130 miles; HONOLULU, HI; Full-time enrollment: 6,186)
- UNIVERSITY OF HAWAII AT MANOA (about 132 miles; HONOLULU, HI; Full-time enrollment: 14,113)
- KAPIOLANI COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 134 miles; HONOLULU, HI; Full-time enrollment: 4,131)
- UNIVERSITY OF HAWAII AT HILO (about 350 miles; HILO, HI; Full-time enrollment: 2,434)
Public primary/middle school in Hanalei:
- HANALEI ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 225; Location: 5-5415 KUHIO HIGHWAY; Grades: KG – 06)