According to top-mba-universities, East Prospect is located in York County, Pennsylvania and is situated along the Susquehanna River. The city has a humid continental climate and experiences four distinct seasons. In the winter, temperatures average around 24 degrees Fahrenheit with occasional snowfall. Summers are warm with temperatures ranging from mid-60s to upper 80s.
The city of East Prospect has a rich history that dates back to the late 1700s when it was first settled by German immigrants. Since then, it has developed into a thriving community with an abundance of resources and opportunities. Politically, East Prospect is part of the Republican party and is represented by Congressman Scott Perry in Congress.
The economy of East Prospect is centered around manufacturing, agriculture, and retail businesses. The city also boasts several educational institutions including the East Prospect School District which serves over 2200 students grades K-12; Penn State York; Harrisburg Area Community College; and York College of Pennsylvania all offering higher education for residents of the area.
Landmarks in East Prospect include the historic Old Town Hall built in 1872, renovated in 2001 to become a museum; Veterans Park which was created in 2003 to honor local veterans; and Susquehanna River Trail which offers nature trails for hiking, biking, fishing and kayaking along the riverfront. There are also several churches throughout the town representing different denominations including Catholic, Lutheran, Methodist and Presbyterian congregations.
Population: 678. Estimated population in July 2020: 762 (+12.4% change)
Males: 345 (50.9%), Females: 333 (49.1%)
Zip code: 17317
Median resident age: 33.2 years
Median household income: $41,250
Median house value: $97,100
Races in East Prospect:
- White Non-Hispanic (98.5%)
- Hispanic (1.2%)
- Two or more races (0.6%)
Ancestries: German (53.4%), Irish (14.3%), United States (10.5%), Italian (6.9%), Dutch (6.5%), English (5.2%).
Elevation: 493 feet
Land area: 0.4 square miles
East Prospect, Pennsylvania is a small borough located in York County. The population of the borough is 842 people, according to the 2020 census. The racial makeup of East Prospect is 93.4% White, 2.5% African American, 0.9% Asian, and 2.2% from other races. The median household income in East Prospect is $52,500 and the median age of residents is 44 years old. There are a total of 308 households in the borough with an average household size of 2.7 people per household. While most residents are employed in white-collar occupations such as management and professional roles, there are also many blue-collar jobs available such as construction and manufacturing positions that make up a large part of the local economy as well. Education levels are also high with 87% of adults having at least a high school diploma or higher degree while 25% have obtained a bachelor’s degree or higher level of education. In terms of religion, most residents identify themselves as Christian with 45% being Roman Catholic and 28% being Protestant denominations such as Methodist or Baptist faiths.
For population 25 years and over in East Prospect
- High school or higher: 76.1%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 10.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.0%
- Unemployed: 3.6%
- Mean travel time to work: 24.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in East Prospect borough
- Never married: 19.4%
- Now married: 59.6%
- Separated: 1.9%
- Widowed: 8.1%
- Divorced: 11.0%
0.0% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +10 (+1.5%).
Hospitals/medical centers near East Prospect:
- LANCASTER GENERAL HOSPITAL SUSQUEHANNA (about 6 miles; COLUMBIA, PA)
- YORK HOSPITAL (about 6 miles; YORK, PA)
- MEMORIAL HOSPITAL YORK (about 14 miles; YORK, PA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to East Prospect:
- LANCASTER (about 20 miles; LANCASTER, PA; Abbreviation: LNS)
- HARRISBURG INTERNATIONAL (about 22 miles; HARRISBURG, PA; Abbreviation: MDT)
- READING REGIONAL/CARL A SPAATZ FIELD (about 48 miles; READING, PA; Abbreviation: RDG)
Other public-use airports nearest to East Prospect:
- MC GINNESS (about 5 miles; COLUMBIA, PA; Abbreviation: 8N7)
- DONEGAL SPRINGS AIRPARK (about 9 miles; MOUNT JOY/MARIETTA, PA; Abbreviation: N71)
- BAUBLITZ COMMERCIAL (about 9 miles; BROGUE, PA; Abbreviation: 9W8)
Amtrak stations near East Prospect:
- 10 miles: MOUNT JOY (DELTA & HENRY STS.). Services: public payphones, free short-term parking, call for taxi service, public transit connection.
- 14 miles: ELIZABETHTOWN (WILSON AVE.). Services: public payphones, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for taxi service.
- 16 miles: LANCASTER (53 MCGOVERN AVE.). Services: ticket office, partially wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, ATM, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for car rental service, call for taxi service, intercity bus service, public transit connection.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to East Prospect:
- YORK COLLEGE PENNSYLVANIA (about 6 miles; YORK, PA; Full-time enrollment: 4,541)
- MILLERSVILLE UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA (about 12 miles; MILLERSVILLE, PA; Full-time enrollment: 6,384)
- PENNSYLVANIA STATE UNIVERSITY-PENN ST HARRISBURG (about 22 miles; MIDDLETOWN, PA; Full-time enrollment: 2,064)
- HARFORD COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 34 miles; BEL AIR, MD; Full-time enrollment: 2,646)
- HARRISBURG AREA COMMUNITY COLLEGE-HARRISBURG (about 34 miles; HARRISBURG, PA; Full-time enrollment: 4,653)
- MESSIAH COLLEGE (about 36 miles; GRANTHAM, PA; Full-time enrollment: 2,761)
- MORGAN STATE UNIVERSITY (about 37 miles; BALTIMORE, MD; Full-time enrollment: 5,564)